Pages

Friday 22 October 2010

Two more English girls in Paris

Having been away from home for almost three months now, there are some certain home comforts that I miss; Marks and Spencer, fish and chips, sky plus and London Underground (trust me, once you've become a Metro regular you'll understand!) to name a few.

Above all else I miss my girlfriends. Yes sadly it would seem I have become the type of 'Sex and the City' stereotype that most men and feminists roll their eyes at; I long for the days of girly chats over dinner and cocktails after work on Friday. I miss girly conversation from analytical conversations about minor events, relationships to bitching about work.

Last week Sophie and Leo; two of my best girlfriends from London came over for a visit. I always love when friends from back home come for a visit, not just because I have missed them, but for me it is like seeing Paris for the first time again. Seeing how much they enjoy the beauty and vibrance of Paris gives me back the initial excitement that I had when I first got here, which is something I seriously take for granted.

Luckily for me, both of them had been to Paris before and weren't too fussed with the touristy sight seeing, so as soon as they arrived (with Marks and Spencers goodies!!!), I wasted no time in getting the girly chats underway and took them to a Bistro round the corner from my appartment for some much needed food, wine and catch up time!

Girl time: taking time out from relaxing to pose for a photo

Once we were satisfied with the level of gossip, chocolate and wine consumption, the rest of the weekend included shopping at the lovely bio market on my street and a stroll in one of my favourite places; The Marais. The Marais is the Jewish/Gay quarter of Paris where museums, vintage shops, luxury boutiques, old fashioned cafés and trendy gay bars all come together. A bit like Soho...but slightly more up market!

On the Sunday we took a stroll through Montmartre and discovered an AMAZING food market called Le Fete de Vendages. It had everything a Londoner dreams of finding at a French food market; seafood, cheese, jams, snails, meats, olives, plenty of wine and just to tip it off  French accordian music playing in the background. We went for the mussels, rosé and champagne...all 



Sophie with our scrummy plate of garlic mussels

French accordian and general merryment from the fete.
 
Leo and Sophie enjoying a glass of rosé champagne...
our third glass that morning!

All in all, it was a picture post card Paris and a fantastic way to finish what had been an amazing girly weekend. It may have been clichéd but I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment